Ernst Must Explain Why She Thinks Campaigning Is More Important Than Doing Her Job By Negotiating and Passing Robust Phase 4 Relief
Tonight, as her opening salvo after the GOP Senate officially shut down negotiations on Phase 4 COVID-19 relief yesterday, Senator Joni Ernst will attend a Trump campaign “Cornhusker COVID Rally” in Nebraska with no mask mandate that acknowledges “an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists.”
The irresponsible event puts Senator Ernst’s COVID-19 failure front and center as Iowa continues to hit new record-highs in the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations, and as many small businesses “remain dark” and could be forced to close for good.
“Eight months into this pandemic, Senator Ernst is dangerously ignoring the severity of this health and economic crisis by participating in this maskless ‘Cornhusker COVID’ rally in Nebraska – instead of fighting for Iowans,” said Jeremy Busch, Iowa Democratic Party spokesperson. “Senator Ernst must explain why she thinks that this so-called ‘Cornhusker COVID Rally’ is more important than doing her job by negotiating and passing robust Phase 4 relief for workers, small businesses, farms, and families. Ernst promised to be independent in Washington, but as Iowa faces the worst crisis in a generation, she has put party loyalty and her corporate special interest donors ahead of Iowans.”
From the onset of the pandemic, Senator Ernst has failed to put Iowans first and even stood in the way of relief:
- Voted twice for a $500 billion corporate slush fund that would allow CEOs to fire workers while padding their own bonuses.
- Voted against paid family leave.
- Spread dangerous COVID-19 conspiracy theories.
- Called additional funding for hospitals “unnecessary pork.”
- Falsely claimed that Democrats were “trying to stir up the panic.”
- Said that Iowa has “fared pretty well.”
- Claimed the “bank is not open” for comprehensive COVID-19 relief.