Washington Republicans’ broken promises on health care were back in the spotlight yesterday, as President Trump tweeted blatant lies on Republicans’ continued efforts to roll back coverage protections for pre-existing conditions. For Iowa’s most unpopular politician Senator Joni Ernst, who herself has been fact-checked on her votes to gut coverage for Iowans with pre-existing conditions, there’s no hiding from her long record of broken promises.
From opposing common-sense prescription drug reform to lower costs to sponsoring efforts to gut coverage protections for pre-existing conditions, Senator Ernst has stood with Mitch McConnell and her corporate special interest backers at every turn – even when it means dismantling the vital coverage that Iowans rely on. Here are 10 ways Senator Ernst has broken her promises on health care for Iowans:
Senator Ernst’s broken promise to protect coverage for pre-existing conditions:
- Bragged about her “courage” to gut coverage for Iowans with pre-existing conditions.
- Voted to defend toxic “junk” insurance plans that can deny coverage for pre-existing conditions, prescription drugs, and maternity benefits.
- Refused to oppose the Republican lawsuit to end protections for pre-existing conditions.
Senator Ernst’s broken promise to make health care more affordable:
- Helped spearhead efforts to dismantle the Affordable Care Act with no replacement in place.
- Sponsored a bill allowing insurers to drive up monthly premiums for Iowans.
- Supported an effort that would enable insurers to restore annual and lifetime limits on benefits, including cancer treatment and prescription drugs.
Senator Ernst’s broken promise to reduce the cost of prescription drugs:
- Was called out by fellow Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley for siding with Mitch McConnell and refusing to support a bipartisan bill to prevent drug companies from arbitrarily raising prescription drugs costs.
- Stood with big drug companies against common-sense efforts to lower drug costs, then received a “huge bump” in campaign contributions from their Corporate PACs.
Senator Ernst’s broken promise to fix rural health care:
- Repeatedly voted to roll back Medicaid expansion, which could force rural hospitals to shut their doors across Iowa.
- Supported the reckless GOP Tax Scam in 2017, despite widespread warnings that it threatens massive cuts to Medicare and Medicaid – programs that Iowa’s rural communities disproportionately turn to for health care.