Cedar Rapids Gazette: ‘Stick to policy,’ Grassley advises Iowa GOP in wake of party’s anti Hubbell ads
After attacking him before the polls were even closed on election day, vulnerable Kim Reynolds became the first Iowa statewide candidate to launch negative TV ads spreading misleading and cherry-picked stories about Fred Hubbell.
Sen. Grassley’s got a point: Why isn’t Reynolds talking about her record as governor?
With very little digging, it’s not hard to see why she’s doing everything she can to distract voters away: Reynolds’ tenure in office is hallmarked by cutting health care, education funding, job training services, and ending programs Iowans depend on to be successful.
- Reynolds’ disastrous privatization of Medicaid has reduced or denied health care from over 40,000 Iowans ;
- Closed 36 workforce development centers in rural Iowa;
- Shuttered two mental health facilities;
- Laid off 2,100 Iowans, including workers at the Department of Human Services which has now been riddled with severe understaffing issues ;
- Cut funding for University of Iowa causing closures of 7 centers and laying off 33 Iowans