While she eventually rambled something off about occasionally disagreeing with the President, whom she welcomed with open arms on Tuesday, we here at the Iowa Democratic Party would humbly offer her a different answer: her own campaign co-chair Congressman Steve King.
Congressman King, who President Trump just called the “world’s most conservative human being,” spends more time spouting divisive nonsense on Twitter than serving his district. From attacking his own constituents to supporting accused child molesters (see below), Governor Reynolds had plenty of reasons to distance herself from the man who nominated her to the Lieutenant Governor post in 2010.
“Congressman King is an embarrassment to the state of Iowa who routinely uses his position to further his own extreme and un-American agenda instead of serving the people of his district, yet, Governor Reynolds continues to be an apologist for his behavior. Elevating him to her campaign committee sent a strong message to every Iowan that King is not only accepted but valued in Reynolds’ Republican Party,” said Iowa Democratic Party Spokesperson Tess Seger.
So, to help Governor Reynolds prepare for the next debate, here are just a sampling of Congressman King’s worst hits that she is welcome to denounce at any time:
- Just this morning, Congressman King attacked two highly-respected, Latino public officials…:
- Last year, King took to Twitter to defend accused child molester Roy Moore – downplaying already spineless Republican calls for Moore to leave the race for Alabama Senate “if the allegations are true.”
- Then there was the time that King suggested on national television that funding for food security for working families should be taken away to fund a border wall:
- Congressman King was widely reviled last year, before Reynolds named him to her campaign committee, for making this astonishingly out-of-touch comment that flies in the face of the literal purpose of America while defending the notorious white supremacist Geert Wilders. King later doubled down on this statement:
- Finally, there was the Congressman’s taxpayer funded trip to Russia where he requested a “Chinese masseuse.” Buzzfeed News reported:
In the evening, after the representatives returned to the Ritz, King asked a diplomat to arrange for a “Chinese masseuse” to be sent to his room, two U.S. officials said. One official with connections in Chinese circles was even asked to make inquiries about how to procure one, but declined. A representative for King did not respond to repeated requests for comment.”
Is that enough reasons, Governor Reynolds? We’ve got hundreds more.