Voter ID Requirements
Voters are now required to show a valid form of ID at the polls in order to vote.
What is a valid form of ID?
- Iowa Voter Identification Card*
- Iowa Driver’s License
- Iowa Non-Operator ID
- U.S. Military ID or Veteran ID
- U.S. Passport
- Tribal ID Card/Document
*If you register to vote in advance of the election and do not have a valid driver’s license or non-operator’s ID issued by the Iowa Department of Transportation, you will be issued an Iowa Voter ID Card for free, automatically, in the mail. You will need to bring this with you to the polls.
If you show up at the polls to vote and don’t have a valid ID, you have a few options:
- Another registered voter in the precinct may attest to your identity
- You can prove your identity and residence using Election Day Registration documents
- You can cast a provisional ballot and provide ID to the county auditor up until the time of the county canvass of votes (Monday after election day for Primary and General Elections).
Learn more about the requirements here