- Thursday, April 23 – Counties begin mailing out ballots
- Friday, May 22 by 5pm – Deadline to request an absentee ballot
- Friday, May 22 by 5pm – Voter pre-registration deadline
- Monday, June 1 – Absentee ballots must be postmarked by this date
- Tuesday, June 2 – Primary Election Day: polls open 7AM until 9PM
Election Day Voting Info
Polls are open from 7am-9pm on Tuesday, June 2. Many counties have combined polling locations for the primary so your regular polling location may have changed.
Early Voting Info
The deadline to request an absentee ballot for the primary has passed. You can typically still vote early in person at your auditor’s office during regular business ours. Contact your county auditor for details.
You can request a ballot for the general starting on July 6.
You can see when your request was processed, when your ballot was mailed to you, and when the auditor received your ballot.
Voter Registration Info
The deadline to pre-register for the primary has passed, but you can still register on election day! Learn more about what you need to bring to same day register here.
Not sure if you are registered? You can double check!
Voter ID Requirements
Voters are now required to show a valid form of ID at the polls in order to vote.
What is a valid form of ID?
- Iowa Voter Identification Card*
- Iowa Driver’s License
- Iowa Non-Operator ID
- U.S. Military ID or Veteran ID
- U.S. Passport
- Tribal ID Card/Document
*If you register to vote in advance of the election and do not have a valid driver’s license or non-operator’s ID issued by the Iowa Department of Transportation, you will be issued an Iowa Voter ID Card for free, automatically, in the mail. You will need to bring this with you to the polls.
If you show up at the polls to vote and don’t have a valid ID, you have a few options:
- Another registered voter in the precinct may attest to your identity
- You can prove your identity and residence using Election Day Registration documents
- You can cast a provisional ballot and provide ID to the county auditor up until the time of the county canvass of votes (Monday after election day for Primary and General Elections).